Home Page Gallery
Coffman Cove, Alaska’s best kept secret on Prince of Wales Island. Prince of Wales is 140 miles by 45 miles, of pure majestic land. Prince of Wales is the 3rd largest island in the US after Kodiak Island of AK, and the Big Island of Hawaii. The Shoreline is 990 miles of Rock cliffs. There are more roads on Prince of Wales Island than the entire coast line of the Gulf of Alaska. Coffman Cove is located on the Northeastern Coast of the Prince of Wales Island. Coffman Cove is north of the Dixon entrance and the Canadian border. We have great access to camping, biking, hiking, kayaking, or canoeing. You may find a Lake, Stream or beach and possibly have it all to yourselves.
A state-owned seaplane base is available. There is a boat harbor and launch ramp. Services include; overnight lodging with meals provided, RV park/campground, cabin rentals, guided fishing charters & stream fishing, vehicle rentals, out door recreational rentals, oyster sales, B&B’s, gas station, liquor store, general convenience store, take-out food, welding, construction & contracting, and a public library with wireless internet access. Our library is within walking distance of the harbor, very convenient for visitors.
Recreational fishing along shore, and in nearby streams is very admirable. Luck Lake offers a nice beach for camping with an amazing surrounding for kayaking, canoeing, swimming along with prime trout fishing. Eagle Creek, Luck Creek, and Log Jam Creek produce exciting stream fishing for tourists. Sweetwater Lake provides a fun adventure by kayak, canoe, or small boat through a lagoon that leads into Barnes Lake. Forest Service cabins available for overnight paddlers at both lakes. Tour the Honker divide canoe trail through peaceful radiant land. Accommodating board walk leads to Hatchery Creek Falls, with breathtaking views of Mother Nature.
Access to Coffman Cove by paved road through the National Tongass Rain Forest has increased the economic vitality. The town served for decades as a base for loggers. The closing of Ketchikan Pulp Co. in 1997 compelled residents who stayed to find other economic niches.
The town was named by Lt. Comdr. A.S. Snow, USN, after Lt. Dewitt Coffman, in 1886. The town has about 200 residents and can be accessed by two roads, boat, float plane, or ferry. Coffman Cove was founded as a logging camp in the 1950’s, but the economy is now centered mostly within tourism. The town has been incorporated since 1989. Coffman Cove is the only small community on the north end of Prince of Wales Island that is paved.